Sunday, May 17, 2015

Planting Complete

084

The planting got completed on Sunday afternoon - just before the rain started.  We’ve had a couple periods of rain and sun so hopefully that will continue to get everything growing nicely. 

073

I was supervised from the house by a black cat and an orange cat who were very interested in what I was doing. 

074

Since we’ll be gone during some of the prime growing time, I was careful about what I planted this year.  We have an easily moveable pot of cilantro for all our salsa and Mexican food needs but no tomatoes this year.  That’s what the Farmer’s Market is for!

075

By the garage, we have Ganzia which have grown very nicely there in the past and a few leftover Dahlias. 

076

On the south side of the garage, I planted several packets of “drought tolerant” wildflowers along with some super tall sunflowers again this year.  The wildflower idea worked well last year as pretty much every weed can be considered a “wildflower”!  A new addition to this area this year is pumpkin seeds.  I wanted something that didn’t need much/any midsummer attention and Pumpkins were the winner.  We’ll see what happens with them. 

077

Dandelion (native wildflower)

078

The inspectors came out for a little while.

080

Last year, I planted some leftover flowers around our window well.  This year, this mysterious plant came up so I’m going to let it grow to see if I can figure out what it is.  It seems too healthy to pull. 

085

We’re back to Dahlias along the sidewalk this year.  After the Dahlia Debacle of 2014, I was very careful about which flat of plants I picked up at Gertens this year. 

086

These are our “cement covering” bushes we planted about 5 years ago.  They are supposed to be covered with snow during the winter.  This one looks great!

088

Unfortunately its neighboring plant did not fare so well.  We’re not exactly sure what to do so we’re doing nothing right now. 

090

After a long afternoon of checking my progress from every window in the house, these guys had to take a nap.  They are hoping Doug brings something extra delicious for them from the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment