As I finally looked through our pictures, a couple that Doug did not include earlier this week stood out to me. Somehow I thought the Rockefeller Center Ice Skating Rink would be much bigger as would that gold statue that is sometimes on TV.
The Statue of Liberty is much bigger than I expected. I had forgotten that it sat on a gigantic pedestel as well.
It is also much more detailed than I expcted. You can see folds in the robe, the date on the book and lots of other details.
Ellis Island was very interesting. Above is the main hall where immigrants were processed. Part of the building is set up to demonstrate the process immigrants (but only the “steerage” passengers – the first and second class passengers were processed on board their ship and immediately free to go) went through on their arrival.
The rest of the museum had information about where people came from and went once they arrived.
Bremerhaven was a popular point of departure for Europeans. This poster in German warned single women to be sure of their employer before they left for America or terrible things could happen.
Even back then, everything was bigger in Texas. States did some serious advertising to get immigrants to settle in their country. How times have changed….
We were surprised to see this picture of Croatian Hall in South St Paul at Ellis Island. James Clark’s house is right across from the still-standing building.
And where did all the Norwegians go…. Minnesota!!
A view of the Statue of Liberty from the Central Hall at Ellis Island.
On Sunday, we and half the population of Manhattan and what seemed like every visitor on the island decided to go to the American Museum of Natural History. This was a large and sprawling museum.
It was hard to decide if the taxidermied animals were cute or creepy… or both.
We and everyone else enjoyed the impressive dinosaur displays.
No comments:
Post a Comment