Sunday, May 18, 2014

(Only Slightly More) Interesting Than Dirt

 

010

Since the weather forecast called for a beautiful 70 degree day today, I made a snap decision to go to Gertens last night and pick up flowers.  I had done my preview tour and was ready to buy. 

The yard side of the garage will feature Nicotiana and Salvia.  This is the first year for Nicotiana but I decided to give it a try since it is described as having pretty flowers and a very fragrant evening scent.  Since this has been designated  “the summer of fun” with no classes in the plan for either of us, I hope we will spend lots of summer evenings in the backyard. 

The Salvia was a mistake.  I thought I had picked up a flat of dahlias but grabbed these instead.  I could have returned them but the thought of going to Gertens on a sunny Sunday afternoon was more than I could stand.  The bluish-purple plant should go nicely with the red.  I tried them once before with limited success.  Can’t remember why – but we’ll find out if they fare better this year.

012

This is my first serious perennial plant – a rose bush in the corner where I often put a morning glory on a post. The roses formerly known as “Ann’s roses” always look great all summer so I thought I’d give it a go. 

 

013

Since we’re taking an early vacation this year instead of our usual July/August “harvest season” trip, I decided to try a few vegetables.  I’m going to call it a salsa garden – a tomato plant, a yellow pepper plant, a ‘salsa pepper’ plant and a 6 pack of green onions.  I’m betting I’ll have more onions than I’ll need.  Do you want some? 

A few of the leftover nicotiana ended up here.  They are related of the tobacco plant but I doubt anyone will pick them and attempt to smoke them. 

015

Here’s the area that’s only slightly more interesting than dirt.  I put in a pack of sunflower seeds along with a packet of “songbird wildflower seed mix.  I did this a few years ago and it gave me license to not weed this area.  After all, who is to know which is a weed and which is a wildflower? 

The leftover salvia was planted here too.  Salvia is supposed to have medicinal purposes.  I’m not sure what for …

017

I always. ALWAYS. plant Dahlias along the front steps.  However, in the midst of my buying frenzy, I grabbed the salvia instead of dahlias.  Fortunately, I picked up a flat of ganzia with no specific purpose in mind so they are taking the place of the traditional dahlias this year.  I’ve had really good luck growing these in full sun along the side of the garage.  We’ll see how they fair with the morning sun of the front yard.  

018

The flower basket is starting to fill out.  I was glad I picked this up last week.  The selection yesterday was more limited than the week before. 

 

016

It was a beautiful day to be outside.  There were lots of people out and about.  I was supervised by the “Jesus and Friends” car (it’s baaaack, Ann!!!) as well as my two helpers. 

019

Somebody was very interested in what was going on outside. 

020

This guy was very attentive early on but decided he needed a nap on his more recent favorite perch after a couple hours of squirrel patrol.

No comments:

Post a Comment