Monday, August 10, 2015

That Way To Yoshinogarikouen

IMG_2400

The four of us walked up and down some of the streets in Kanzaki. We decided that Sue maybe knew the streets within Kanzaki better since she rode her bike to school everyday whereas I mostly headed to the train station to get to work.

IMG_2403

Mike liked the rice field up on the left right in the middle of town. Makiko said there was no rice growing in her hometown in Saitama prefecture because there is no river providing tons of water needed from rice.

IMG_2407

Here we are on the footpath that led from our neighborhood to the small grocery store. We literally walked through rice fields to do our grocery shopping.

 

IMG_2416

Sapie is still there.

IMG_2417

Who gets their photo taken in a grocery store?

The B-Dubs do, that’s who.

IMG_2418

Here is some day old sashimi for ~$2.50. I’d would have bought this but I was still stuffed from our buffet breakfast featuring beef curry, miso soup, pickles, cabbage salad, rice, grilled fish, and runny scrambled eggs.

 

IMG_2424

Back in the late 1990s I used to take a photo from this spot at different times of the year to show the passing of the seasons. I think they grew soy beans here in the winter and rice in the summer. We have series of four photos hanging in our living room.  The orange thing on the left is Sapie and our house is straight ahead.

 

IMG_2431

American Grandfather and Japanese Grand Daughter

IMG_2450

Here is the Sumo ring at the Shinto Shrine in Kanzaki. This is the one Makiko advised us not to body slam someone on.

IMG_2451

While in Japan this time, I think we saw more praying going on at the temples and shrines. I don’t remember seeing people wash up, then walk up and throw coins in before performing their brief prayer. Maybe you notice different things as you get older.

IMG_2459

American Host Mother and Japanese Daughter

IMG_2465

Here is the sidewalk to Kanzaki Junior High School. [Sorry about using a picture with Sue’s eyes closed]

 

IMG_2468

This school was finished during Sue’s second year teaching here.

IMG_2469

It was built on the school’s sports fields and then the old school was torn down to make way for the new sports fields.

IMG_2485

Back to Saga City feeling hot and sweaty.

IMG_2481

Mr. Hirata told us who the statue was but maybe we didn’t hear why she is pointing towards Yoshinogarikouen. Yoshinogari is a historic ruins park in the next town. Maybe she is saying, “Excuse me, I’m sorry. Maybe you meant to get off the train one stop to the east where the historical park is located. . . “

No comments:

Post a Comment