As I was loading pictures for this blog entry, my phone alerted me that the flight we will be on next week has landed in Dar Es Salaam. That means we left at 3pm yesterday and arrived just now. I suspect we'll be tired of airplane seats by this time next week.
Packing is in full force today and our bags should be ready to go with the exception of every day items that won't get packed until the morning we leave. Doug rediscovered his "boony hat" from the early 1990s which will serve as his hat on safari.
All packing has been supervised by Tailwheel. By supervision, I mean he is laying around waiting for someone to sit down so he can jump into that person's lap.
There is some serious organization going on here. The plastic bags serve both to keep clothes organized and to protect them from the elements as our bags will be on top of our mini-bus as we drive from Dar to Iringa. I think they'll probably come in handy to categorize clothes in the clean vs. wearable vs. questionable vs. "what is that smell?" later in the trip.
In addition to our own things, we packed a 30 pound bag of school supplies donated by students, colleagues, friends and family members and have another bag to pack. We delivered 7 soccer balls that were donated by my students to the Pfeifers who will deflate and pack them. So much fun!!If you care to track our flights next week, I suggest using www.flightaware.com. We fly from Minneapolis to Amsterdam on Delta and then on KLM from Amsterdam to Dar Es Salaam with a brief stop at the Kilimanjaro airport.
At the beginning of my two week trip to Africa, I noticed when people smelled bad. Unfortunately after a few days, I was so use it that I was pleasantly surprised when I boarded my flight home of the lack of everyone's body odor. Until I realized that I had just gotten used to it...
ReplyDelete